Monday, January 8, 2007


Washington Heights is long overdue for its own musical/Broadway show/theater spectacular (so who cares if it is off off Broadway). I am eagerly and impatiently waiting for the curtain to go up later this week, and I will be reporting back with my review. And -- hope against hope -- Dorka's salon on Dyckman street -- a famous and favorite Heights salon from my (not all that distant) youth, where I used to revel in my Dominican-ness while sitting for hooooourss waiting to get my hair done-- will play a prominent role.



In the Heights (Off-Broadway)
37 Arts Theatre
450 West 37th Street
When:
Tuesday-Friday - 8PM
Saturday - 2PM & 8PM
Sunday - 2PM & 7PM
January 9, 2007 - February 8, 2007


Find out what it takes to make a living, what it costs to have a dream…and what it means to be home In the Heights.


In the Heights is a new musical about three days in the life of Washington Heights, a vibrant and tight-knit community at the top of the island of Manhattan. It's a place where the coffee from the corner bodega is light and sweet, the windows are always open, and the breeze carries the rhythm of three generations of music. Created by a team of New York's freshest young talents, In the Heights is the tale of a community at a crossroads.
http://www.broadway.com/gen/Show.aspx?si=540419

1 comment:

SuMorena said...

Run... don't walk to catch this musical. I went thru every emotion imaginable thru out the entire performance. I cried, I laughed, I clapped with pride and danced in my seat as the salsa beats mixed with hip hop took over my senses.
The ingenious lyrical flow of Lin-Manuel is just jaw dropping. This will most definitely be a long running show. I would definitely see it again.